MEETING OF THE COLLIER COUNTY DEMOCRATIC CLUB
The Collier County Education Association, Naples, FL
April 17, 2017
1. CCDC President Greg Gargan brought the meeting to order at 6.32 pm. The Pledge of Allegiance and a Minute of Silence followed.
2. Greg introduced guests and then turned to program over to Annisa Karim, past chair of the Democratic Executive Committee, candidate for Collier County Commission and a Lee County environmental biologist. Annisa presented a detailed summary of the threats to the environment, national and statewide, presented by policy changes initiated by President Trump and state government. The entire PowerPoint presentation is available at www.collierdems.org in the NEWS section.
3. Jeff Bruce offered a brief overview of potential changes and threats as a result of Trump’s and Congress’s ongoing negotiations to overhaul national health care policy. His PowerPoint presentation is also on the website under NEWS as well as additional reading.
4. New board member Rob Chalhoub encouraged members and guests to participate in the postcard mailing project and distributed postcards to be mailed to everyone in attendance.
5. Noreen Hemping described the Collier School Board’s process in updating textbooks, which also prompted conversation about the threat posed by the upcoming school board elections should the two-person hard-right minority on the board gain an additional seat. Kathy Ryan, who has unsuccessfully run for school board, talked about the mechanics of the process of textbook selection.
6. Greg updated folks on upcoming meetings of the DEC and the CCDC and urged members and guests to go to the EVENTS calendar on the website for more details.
7. The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm.