MEETING OF THE COLLIER COUNTY DEMOCRATIC CLUB
March 20, 2017
- CCDC President Greg Gargan brought the meeting to order at 6.35 pm. The Pledge of Allegiance and a Minute of Silence followed. There was a quorum.
- The Board election was the main agenda item. Dorothy Demarest, CCDCs Parliamentarian, explained the voting procedure and announced that the Tellers were Annisa Karim, Ellie Cantor and Alynn Prostein. The nominating Committee had nominated Greg Gargan for President, Jeff Bruce for Secretary, Dorothy Demarest for Parliamentarian and David Holden, Mily Cancio, Tony Listrom, Dawn Rubin and Gerry O’Connor for Board Members at-large. Nominations from the floor were Mily Cancio for President and Robert Chalhoub for Board Member.
- Each candidate made a short presentation of why he/she should be elected. Greg Gargan spoke for Jeff Bruce, who was absent.
- 32 members voted in the election.17 votes were needed to be elected. The results were: President: Greg Gargan 25 votes, Mily Cancio 7. Greg Gargan was elected. All the following candidates were elected: Secretary: Jeff Bruce (32), Parliamentarian: Dorothy Demarest (32), Board Members at-large: David Holden (32), Mily Cancio (20), Tony Listrom (31), Dawn Rubin (32), Gerry O’Connor (31) and Robert Chalhoub (29). The Tellers’ Report is attached.
- Dawn Rubin told the meeting that she is organizing CCDC Socials as follows: Coffee meetings: 9-11 am on the first Monday and the third Wednesday every month; Happy Hour meetings: second Tuesday and fourth Thursday every month. Locations will vary. Those interested should contact Dawn to get on her mailing list.
- Kathy Ryan has been on a committee reviewing text books for the school system. She suggested that as many as possible attend the next school board meeting, which will discuss the books. It will be held in Everglade City at 5 pm on April 11, 2017.
- Norine Hemping suggested the we also attend a Forum on Charter Schools organized by The Coalition for Quality Public Education. It will be held at: Jewish Federation, 2500 Vanderbilt Beach Road, Suite 2201 at 5 pm on April 3, 2017.
- Dorothy Demarest suggested that all new Board members and anyone else interested attend a workshop on Bylaws 101 to be held at Naples Women’s Club on April 8, 2017.
- Greg Gargan announced upcoming meetings as follows: DEC April 6, CCDC Board April 10, DWC April 15, CCDC April 17 as well as CCDC Socials.
- The meeting was adjourned at 7.55pm.